The websites I chose to compare are Green Thumb Nursery and Tree of Life Nursery. I was excited when I saw Green Thumb as an option because my uncle, Dale Bergquist, was actually the founder. He opened their first location in Canoga Park in 1946 and I have many fond childhood memories there. Oddly, I've never visited their website before today.
The first thing I noticed on Green Thumb's website was an offer for coupons by joining their email newsletter list followed by a picture of some employees (some of which are Dale's family members). Their website is designed really nicely with pretty, eye-catching colors and pictures. It was easy to navigate and included plenty of information such as links to classes/events, services, their blog, job application, environmental commitment, history and even a picture of each staff member of their different locations, which I thought added a nice personal feel that you don't usually get from larger companies. Mostly all their services are the same for every location except free landscape design is offered at the Lake Forest location only. They also have an online shop, which broadens their target market even further.
The biggest first difference I noticed when looking at Tree of Life's website was that it is much less visually pleasing; using the colors brown, dark green and a pale gray-blue. Since they only have one location and specialize in local native plants, their target audience is much more niche and smaller compared to Green Thumb's. Their site had less information in general including less pages, but was also easy to navigate and included some similar links to Green Thumb's including workshops/events, services, blog, careers, and also included pictures of their employees.
A link that was found on Green Thumb's site which was not on Tree of Life was the environmental commitment. And vice versa, a page I found on Tree of Life which was not on Green Thumb was a link to artwork for sale. They both had the call to action of signing up for their newsletter.
In conclusion, although they are different sized companies, some of their target base is similar and overlapping, whereas some is different like with Tree of Life specializing in local native California plants. They both have a similar tone and message that they are specialists in their field and have a passion for plants.
That’s such a cool personal connection to Green Thumb Nursery! It must be amazing to see a business founded by your uncle still thriving and growing after all these years. Your memories of the Canoga Park location make your perspective on their website even more unique.
ReplyDeleteI also noticed how Tree of Life Nursery has a much more earthy, muted design, which reflects their focus on native plants and conservation. While it may not be as visually striking as Green Thumb, it does align well with their eco-conscious mission. Their smaller scale and niche focus on California native plants naturally give them a more specialized audience, which contrasts with Green Thumb’s broader, retail-friendly appeal.